Thursday, March 7, 2013

My high blood pressure problem persists

If you've been following the blog, you probably know how I feel about my high sodium intake during this SNAP Challenge...I'm not happy about it. My blood pressure was sky high yesterday and it persists today. Today I'm in what's called "Isolated Systolic Hypertension". It's basically an increased systolic pressure (the high number) and a normal diastolic pressure (the low number). The conventional way if thinking was if the diastolic number was normal, you would be fine. But recent studies have shown that an elevated systolic number indicates major risk for heart disease in he future. This is something that anybody eating on an extremely low budget is at risk of due to the high sodium content of the foods that are typically purchased on this budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment